Delta is a quiet village situated on County Road 42. Services for the visitor include a grocery store, liquor store, and a gas station. The village also has a library and recreation centre. Lower Beverley Lake Township Park offers lots of room for family camping, has cottages for rent, a beach and a boat launch ramp. Golf, sightseeing (Rideau locks, Athen's murals) and gift shopping are located within easy driving distance.
The main attraction in Delta is the Old Stone Mill, built in 1810, now a museum and a designated National Historic Site. The Mill has been completely renovated and had working millstones installed on its 200th anniversary in 2010. It is open to the public from Victoria Day weekend to Labour Day (and on special events such as the Delta Maple Syrup Festival, the Delta Harvest Festival (the Saturday before Thanksgiving weekend in October) and for Celebrating the Season in November and December)
In early April, the Delta Maple Syrup Festival celebrates that sweet local nectar, maple syrup. At the end of July, the Delta Fair, one of Canada's oldest fairs, (now over 180 years old) is held. Originally an agriculture fair, it has expanded to include many fun activities for the whole family. Its agricultural roots remain with events such as tractor pulls, horse shows and the ever popular cow chip bingo. On the Saturday before Thanksgiving in October, a Harvest Festival is held with lots of local produce, crafts, and hot apple cider. Winter brings Celebrating the Season on the five Saturdays leading up to Christmas, with the Old Stone Mill beautifully lit with "candles" and thousands of Christmas lights in Lower Beverley Lake Park.
Delta is one of the earliest settlements in the region, founded in 1796 by Abel Stevens, a Loyalist settler from Vermont. Originally called Stevenstown, it went through several name changes. After the building of the Old Stone Mill it became known as Stone Mills. Then, in 1821, the name was changed to Beverley in honour of Sir John Beverley Robinson, a member of the Legislative Assembly. However, in 1886, when an application was made for a post office it was discovered that a Beverley already existed, and the name was changed to Delta because the shapes of Upper and Lower Beverley lakes, and the village between them all form triangles, the shape of the Greek letter Delta.
The village hosts many historic buildings, the most dominant being the Old Stone Mill. The Mill was built in 1810 by William Jones to replace an earlier mill, built in 1796 by Abel Stevens. A grist (wheat) mill, it operated until 1949. The construction of the mill dam in 1809 created Upper Beverley Lake.
The village boasts many examples of beautiful 19th century architecture. St. Paul's Anglican Church was built in 1811 and is one of the oldest churches in Leeds County. There is the Walter Denaut House, built in 1849, the Philo Hicock House, c.1845, the William Bell House, 1860, the Israel Stevens House, 1876 and many more. A description of these buildings can be found on the Delta Walking Tour page (external website).